Multi-option therapy vs observation for small acoustic neuroma: hearing-focused management.

Autori:Zanoletti E, Cazzador D, Faccioli C, Gallo S, Denaro L, D'Avella D, Martini A, Mazzoni A.
Pubblicato su:Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2018 Aug;38(4):384-392.

Presentazione

In questo studio neurochirurghi, otorinolaringoiatri ed audiologi dell’Università di Padova presentano i risultati delle diverse opzioni terapeutiche in una serie di 169 pazienti analizzati dal 2012 al 2016 confrontate alla osservazione per i neurinomi dell’acustico di 1 cm, con particolare riguardo alla morbilità del VII e dell’VIII nervo cranico e soprattutto della funzione uditiva.

Abstract

The current treatment options for acoustic neuromas (AN) - observation, microsurgery and radiotherapy - should assure no additional morbidity on cranial nerves VII and VIII. Outcomes in terms of disease control and facial function are similar, while the main difference lies in hearing. From 2012 to 2016, 91 of 169 patients (54%) met inclusion criteria for the present study, being diagnosed with unilateral, sporadic, intrameatal or extrameatal AN up to 1 cm in the cerebello-pontine angle; the remaining 78 patients (46%) had larger AN and were all addressed to surgery. The treatment protocol for small AN included observation, translabyrinthine surgery, hearing preservation surgery (HPS) and radiotherapy. Hearing function was assessed according to the Tokyo classification and the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS) classification. Sixty-one patients (71%) underwent observation, 19 (22%) HPS and 6 (7%) translabyrinthine surgery; 5 patients were lost to follow-up. Median follow-up was 25 months. In the observation group, 24.6% of patients abandoned the wait-and-see policy for an active treatment; the risk of switching from observation to active treatment was significant for tumour growth (p = 0.0035) at multivariate analysis. Hearing deteriorated in 28% of cases without correlation with tumour growth; the rate of hearing preservation for classes C-D was higher than for classes A-B (p = 0.032). Patients submitted to HPS maintained an overall preoperative hearing class of Tokyo and AAO-HNS in 63% and 68% of cases, respectively. Hearing preservation rate was significantly higher for patients presenting with preoperative favourable conditions (in-protocol) (p = 0.046). A multi-option management for small AN appeared to be an effective strategy in terms of hearing outcomes.

Per assicurare una ottimale navigazione ed altri servizi offerti, questo sito è predisposto per consentire l'utilizzo di Cookies. Continuando si accettano i Cookies secondo l'informativa consultabile a questo link.